Contract Cancellation Information
Students choosing to cancel their contract need to provide a 30-day cancellation notice via MyRed, whether they moved in or not. Instructions on how to cancel are found below.
Students will be charged for 30 days of room and meals from the date they complete the online cancellation form or from the date they have turned in their room and mailbox keys (official checkout), whichever is later. Cancellations received on or after July 15 will accrue daily charges because that’s within 30 days of the contract start date.
Students will also forfeit the $100 nonrefundable contract processing fee submitted with the contract.*
* If the nonrefundable contract process fee was deferred, the student will be responsible for paying the $100 contract processing fee after contract cancellation.
- We cannot take cancellations over the phone.
- Withdrawing or suspension from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln will not automatically cancel your contract.
- It is not possible for another university department to cancel your contract.
- If you’ll be attending the university and aren’t 19 years of age prior to the first day of fall classes, you must have an approved exemption to reside off campus to cancel the contract.
- If you complete online cancellation form and stay longer than the 30 days, you will be charged when you turn in your keys and complete your check out at the hall.
- If you complete the online cancellation process and stay less than the 30 days, you will be charged for room/board for the entire 30 days from when you completed the online cancellation form.
- If you didn’t complete the online cancellation form prior to checking out of your room, you will be charged for 30 days of room/board starting the day you check out.
- To cancel your housing contract, follow the steps below.
- Log into MyRed.
- Under "Important Links," click the blue "Housing" button.
- Click "Apply for Housing" in the red navigation bar.
- Click "Continue" next to the contract you are wanting to cancel.
- On the "Housing Application Info" page, select "I want to cancel my housing contract" and click “Save & Continue.”
- Complete all necessary prompts until you reach the "Contract Cancellation Complete" page.