Students choosing to cancel their contract need to provide a 30-day cancellation notice via MyRed, whether they moved in or not. Instructions on how to cancel are found below.
Students are held liable for 30 days of room and the $150 meal plan cancel fee starting from:
- the day they complete the online cancellation form
- through the day they return their room/mailbox keys to a university housing employee
(whichever is later). Students are more than welcome to stay in room throughout the 30 days. A student’s meal plan is automatically cancelled when they cancel their housing contract and turn in their keys to a university housing employee.
If you complete the online cancel form...
AY 2022-23: Prior to July 15, 2023
AY 2023-24: Prior to July 15, 2023
No cancel fees, forfeit $100 contract processing fee**
AY 2022-23: In between July 15, 2023 - August 13, 2023
AY 2023-24: Between July 15 - August 13, 2023
AY 2022-23: On August 14, 2023 or after.
AY 2023-24: On August 14, 2023 or after.
*30 days of room charges begin once you receive the confirmation email that you have completed the online cancellation form. Student can stay the entirety of the 30 days. Student must return their room/mailbox keys and have their room inspected to officially checkout of their room. Once a student has completed the checkout procedures, charges will be adjusted (if applicable) and their meal plan will not be able to be used.
**If the nonrefundable contract process fee was deferred, the student will be responsible for paying the $100 contract processing fee after contract cancellation.
30 days from date cancelled, however you're only charged for dates beginning on the contract start date. For example if you cancel 7/18, the student's 30 days ends on 8/17. The contract starts on 8/14, so the student would be responsible on 8/17 for paying for dates 8/14-8/17.
30 days of room charges*
Forfeit $100 contract processing fee**
July 15, 2023
Cancel by this day to avoid 30-day accrual of fall room charges and $150 meal cancel fee.
December 1, 2023
Cancel by this date to avoid 30 day accrual of spring room charges. If the 30-day notice falls after this date, there are not adjustments to fall charges.
March 13, 2024
No cancellations allowed after this date.
April 13, 2024
If the 30-day notice falls after this date, there are no adjustments to spring charges.
- If you’ll be attending the university and aren’t 19 years of age prior to the first day of fall classes, you must have an approved exemption to reside off campus to cancel the contract.
- If you complete online cancellation form and return their room/mailbox keys to a university housing employee after the 30 days, you will be charged for room and meals through the date you turn in your keys and complete your check out at the hall (plus the $150 meal plan cancellation fee).
- If you complete the online cancellation process and return their room/mailbox keys to a university housing employee prior to the end of your 30-day notice, you will be charged for room for the entire 30 days from when you completed the online cancellation form (plus the $150 meal plan cancellation fee).
- If you didn’t complete the online cancellation form prior to checking out of your room, you will be charged for 30 days of room from the date you return your room/mailbox keys to a university housing employee plus the $150 meal plan cancellation fee).
- The only way to cancel a student’s contract, is via the cancellation form within the student’s contract in the Housing Portal. The following actions will NOT cancel your contract:
- Phone call.
- Not attending.
- Withdrawing or suspension from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
- Information from another university department.
How to Cancel Your Housing Contract
- Log into MyRed.
- Under "Important Links," click the blue "Housing" button.
- Click "Contracts" in the red navigation bar.
- Select the "2023-24 Academic Year", then click "Apply" or "Continue" next to the contract you are wanting to cancel.
- On the "Housing Application Info" page, select "I want to cancel my housing contract" and click “Save & Continue.”
- Complete all necessary prompts until you reach the "Contract Cancellation Complete" page.