The Resident Assistant position is a student staff member who lives and works in a residence hall on campus. RA’s are responsible for building communities on their floors, providing resources to residents, developing programs for their floor, some administrative work, attending staff meetings, and being on duty for their hall. The RA’s are supervised by a full-time professional staff member known as a Residence Director (RD). They serve on a staff ranging from 4-12 RA’s depending on the hall. RA’s on average work approximately 19.6 hours a week.
What's Training Like?
Our extensive training program will challenge you and teach you what you need to know to excel.
Training is required for student staff, so you should plan accordingly as you consider applying. If you are not available for the training dates, do not submit an application. Note that student staff may not be enrolled in a Second Five-Week summer class as it conflicts with the scheduled training period.
- Training for Summer 2018 will occur from approximately May 4–11, 2018.
- Training for Academic Year 2018–2019 will occur from Monday, August 6 through Sunday, August 19, 2018.
Training is provided in the areas of:
- Diversity/Multicultural Awareness
- Communication/Listening Skills
- Confrontation/Assertiveness Skills
- Time Management
- Counseling/Conflict Mediation
- Leadership Styles
- Ethical Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Programming and Community Building