The Halls Are Open
Residence halls at NEBRASKA are always open during breaks. You’re welcome to stay in your room during any break period or come and go as you please.
Winter Break, Dec. 16-Jan. 17
Front desks will be open as follows:
- Thurs., Dec. 21 - All desks close at midnight.
- Fri., Dec. 22 - Jan. 1 - Abel, Courtyards, Smith, Massengale & Suites desks are open 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Tues., Jan. 2 - Abel, Courtyards, Smith, Massengale & Suites desks are open 7 a.m., resuming normal hours.
Leaving your car here over break?
If you have a surface lot permit, park in these garages over break. This will help greatly should facilities need to move snow from lots.
- R01 permit (HSS/Village) = 14th & Avery Garage
- R02 permit (Suites) = 17th & R Garage
If you're leaving for any length of time during winter break,
- Make sure all dishes are cleaned and any perishable items are removed from your countertop and fridge.
- Empty your trash into the garbage chute. Recycle items in designated recycling bins.
- Turn off lights and close blinds.
- Ensure the door latches and locks behind you.
If you have or will have an open space in your room,
Make sure the other portion of the room is open and clean for a potential new roommate at semester.
Not Returning in the Spring?
- Complete the online cancellation form by November 30, 2023, to avoid accruing spring charges due to the-day notice policy.
- After you complete the cancellation form, you’ll receive an email with check-out procedures to complete by December 16, 2023.
Make Changes to Your Spring Meal Plan Nov. 6 - Jan. 29
Make changes to your spring meal plan by January 29, 2024 in the housing portal.
- Log in to MyRED.
- Under “Important Links,” click the blue “Housing” button.
- On the housing portal homepage, click the image that says "Meal Plans - Check your balance, swipes or add options."
- Complete the form until you reach a confirmation page.
- You’ll receive a confirmation email indicating your submitted requests.
- Charges will be adjusted by February 9 for meal changes happening on December 15, 2023, and after.
Winter Break Meals
- Winter Break dining hours of operation.
Check your meal plan swipe and/or Dining Dollars balance in the housing portal in MyRED throughout the academic year.
Big Red, Platinum, Diamond or Sapphire meal plans:
- After dinner December 16, weekly meal plan swipes for the fall semester end.
- January 17 – weekly meal plan swipes begin and spring Dining Dollars load.
- During the break, you can use the following as payment at campus restaurants:
- Remaining fall semester Dining Dollars
- NCard (charge to the centralized student bill)
- Credit/debit cards
- Purchase a Herbie 25 Add-on meal pack or $100 Dining Dollar reload.
- You can use your remaining fall semester swipes and Dining Dollars during break.
- Spring swipes load January 17, 2024.
- If you’re low or out of meal swipes or Dining Dollars, you can purchase a Herbie 25 Add-on meal pack or a $100 Dining Dollar reload.
Gold, Silver, or Bronze meal plans:
UNL offices are closed for Winter Break Dec. 22, 2023 - Jan. 1, 2024. Housing & Dining offices open Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2024, 8 a.m., CST.
Construction to Limit Housing & Dining Office Access
Construction on the third floor of the Willa Cather Dining Complex will limit access to the Housing & Dining offices from December 14 through the end of March or early April.
To reach the third floor during this time, visitors must be accompanied by an escort. Individuals wishing to schedule a meeting should contact the person they intend to meet to coordinate a suitable meeting time or call 402-472-3561 in advance.
The Cather Dining Center and other spaces on the first floor remain unaffected.
We’re happy to have you here on campus. Please let us know if you have any questions.
University Housing | 530 N. 17th St. | Lincoln, NE 68588-0622 | 402-472-3561 | email@example.com