Photo by Craig Chandler
Move-in dates are August 16-19, 2021.
The University Housing community is excited to welcome our new and returning students to campus. Due to the unique circumstance presented by COVID-19, we've developed a curbside move-in process designed to maximize efficiency and ensure safety for students, families and staff.
Move-in Dates for Residence Halls
Appointment times for the residence halls will be assigned on the following dates between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (CST). Students will receive an email with the assigned appointment time before August 2. If you aren't able to make your appointment time, see info under "Move-in Appointments" on rescheduling your appointment time.
- Love Memorial
- Knoll Residential Center
- Abel South (floors 8-13)
- Eastside Suites (floors 3 and 4)
- University Suites (floors LL, 1, 4 and 5)
- Abel North (floors 2-7)
- Eastside Suites (floors LL, 1 and 2)
- University Suites (floors 2 and 3)
What To Bring
Items You’ll Need
- Your NCard (NU ID)
- Twin-size sheets (Extra-long and deep-pocket sheets will all work on our mattresses. All beds are 39” x 80” and require extra-long bed sheets. Kauffman beds are 34” x 80,” Selleck beds are 36” x 80”.)
- Bedspread or comforter, blankets
- Pillow and pillowcase
- Towels and washcloths
- Shower tote/caddy/robe/shower shoes
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc.)
- Clothes hangers
- Season-appropriate clothing (switch out during breaks)
- Surge protectors
- Social Security card (for employment purposes)
- Insurance and pharmacy cards
- Prescription refills (including eye care)
- Current prescription medications in their original containers
- Information: physician’s name(s), address, telephone number and emergency telephone numbers
- High-efficiency laundry detergent
- Courtyards/Village residents will need to bring kitchen items such as pots, pans and dishes.
- Suite- and apartment-style residents will need to bring toilet paper.
- Cleaning supplies (household cleaners, disinfecting wipes, etc.)
- Thermometer, hand sanitizer, face covering(s)
- Extra-long twin bed and extra-long mattress
- Desk and chair
- Refrigerator/freezer combination (except Love Memorial)
- Mirrored medicine cabinets or personal mirrors
- Roll shades or blinds/curtains
- Wastebasket and recycle bin
- Wired and wireless high-speed Internet connectivity
- Laundry basket/iron
- Flashlight and batteries
- Personal computer with updated security
- Portable fan
- Checkbook/debit card
- Pictures, posters and other decorative items (only use approved adhesives such as 3M Command adhesives and blue painter’s tape)
- Desk/floor lamps (Avoid Halogen lamps)
- Cooking appliances approved for use must be UL-approved and must comply with the small appliance policy* go.unl.edu/small-appliance
Items You Shouldn't Bring
- Drums and amplified guitars
- Electric skillets and electric grills (i.e. George Foreman grill)
- Any appliance with open heating coils
- Any non-university bed frame or loft
- Space heaters
- Microwaves and small appliances rated above 800 watts
- Unapproved materials for hanging including 3M Command hooks and strips (ok on concrete walls); Scotch, duct, electrical or masking tape; gum-type adhesives and staples; anything else that might damage walls/doors/floors. A very limited amount of small nails or tacks can be used on drywall surfaces.
Items Inconsistent with the Student Code of Conduct
- Alcohol, illegal drugs and/or prescription drugs that do not belong to the student
- Decorated alcohol containers
- Weapons or ammunition (firearms, martial arts weapons, knives, paint ball guns, etc.)
- Pets (other than fish)
- Fireworks/other explosives
- Tobacco-free and smoke-free campus policy: To provide a healthy environment that promotes the wellness and safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors, NU and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln prohibit smoking and the use of tobacco products in and on all university property.
- For traditional halls only: any cooking appliance(s) not listed as approved which include, but are not limited to, toaster ovens, hot plates, George Foreman grills and any non-UL listed appliances.
Items To Discuss With Your Roommate
- Television and/or sound system
- Microwave (800 watt maximum), if you are assigned to Abel, Harper, Schramm, Selleck, or Smith
- Video game console
- Room decorations
- Futon/small couch
July 15 is the last day to submit a bed height preference. After this date, students will need to submit a FixIt ticket via the housing portal after moving in. It can take up to two weeks for staff to adjust your bed height.
Bed Height Options for Traditional Hall Beds
Bed Height Options for Suite-style Halls
Curbside & Assisted Move-in Overview
It's our goal to provide curbside move-in for students during assigned move-in times. In the unlikely event the moving company is unable to fully unload and deliver items from your vehicle to rooms due to labor shortage or other unforeseen issues, movers will unload your belongings then place items into carts. After you park in the nearest garage or assigned lot, pick up your cart near the unloading area, unload in your room, and return the cart to the outside unloading area. We apologize for the possible inconvenience and are working hard to make sure you have the best move-in experience possible.
- Students and families will arrive at the Bob Devaney Sports Center and receive a move-in packet. Please arrive no sooner than 30 minutes before your move-in time and park in the large, paved lot directly south of the Devaney Center.
- After receiving your move-in packet, you’ll return to your car. You’ll then be directed to a queue where you’ll wait in your vehicle for your turn to unload. It's important you follow University Housing’s directions to the hall in order to flow into the hall’s unload queue.
- When it’s your turn, you’ll drive up to your hall and movers will unload your belongings into a cart. They’ll deliver your items to your room while you park your vehicle in a designated parking area/garage. Please make sure all boxes are clearly labeled with name, hall, room number and cell phone number.
- You’ll need to move all fragile or easily breakable items yourself, including bicycles and all electronics (monitors, tv, laptops, etc.), from your vehicle to the student’s room. This ensures no responsibility to the mover or the university if damage occurs to those items. Please plan to bring your bike - just know you’ll be responsible for taking it to your hall’s bike rack or up to your room.
- After parking your vehicle, walk to your hall and proceed to your room to unpack and get settled into your Husker home.
Do we need to bring an ID?
You'll need to bring a government-issued photo ID. Your parents will need to bring theirs, too.
Do I need to mark my boxes?
Yes. Clearly mark boxes with your name, hall, room and cell phone number.
What items will the movers not take to my room?
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln and the movers take no responsibility for any damage to electronics or other breakable items. You'll be responsible for moving your bicycle and electronics, including TVs, computers, monitors, etc., and anything breakable into your room.
When I move in, can I move some things in and go home until Aug. 23?
You can move in then come and go as you please.
Can I take other things to my room after the movers move the stuff in my car?
You can move things in but will need to take the stairs. We encourage moving more stuff after 6 p.m.
Where do I take our second car while movers unload my car?
Park your second car in the parking garage nearest your hall. Remember, just one car for curbside unloading.
I have a parking permit but it's not for the garage. Can I park in the garage during move-in?
Yes, you can temporarily park any car without a parking permit in the parking garage from Aug. 15-20. Don't park in any Faculty/Staff parking spaces. Bring only one car for curbside unloading.
Do I need to provide my own toilet paper if I live in suite- or apartment-style?
Yes, suites and apartment residents need to provide their own toilet paper.
Where can I purchase a parking pass for the semester?
Parking Services, 625 Stadium Drive. Here's more information: Parking Permits
Will the movers unload my bicycle? How about my futon?
Futon yes, bicycle, no. You'll need to take your bike to your hall. Make sure you register your bike.
Can I put my bike in my room?
Yes, just check with your roommate to make sure it's ok.
Where do I change my address?
In My Red under "Profile".
What if I'm arriving at the airport without a car?
It's a short Uber/Lyft/taxi ride to Devaney. If you arrive between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Aug. 15-19, go to the south side of the Devaney Center to pick up your move-in materials. If your arrival time is outside of those dates and times, go directly to your hall to check in.
You'll be assigned a move-in date and time based on your room assignment and spread out to maximize physical distancing. Times will be assigned 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Aug. 16-19. Curbside unloading is available only during those hours. In order for this process to work, it's imperative you arrive at the Devaney Center no earlier than 15 to 30 minutes before your assigned time. If you're late for your appointment time, we'll do our best to move you in as soon as possible. If you're more than 30 minutes early, we'll l ask that you wait until your designated move-in time. An email with your move-in appointment will be sent to students by August 2.
Move-in times are determined by the hall in which you will reside. Each hall has a specific move-in day and time, based on the curbside unloading schedule.
How can I sign up for a different move-in time?
If you are unable to arrive at your assigned move-in time, you can reschedule a time in the housing portal and use self check-in.
What Times Can I Reschedule?
Rescheduled move-in times are available only after 6 p.m., Aug. 15-19, or beginning at 8 a.m., Aug. 20-22. No movers are available during these times and you will need to move your items to your room yourself. Carts are available in hall lobbies.
Move-in for Early Arriving Groups
If you're part of an early arriving group moving in August 12-14, you'll receive a move-in time before August 2. You'll need to check in directly at your hall and will be responsible for moving your belongings into your room. Carts are available. There's an additional charge of $40 a night and $8 for meals eaten in the dining halls if you arrive arriving before Aug. 16. The following groups are approved to move in before August 15:
- August 12-14 - Marching Band, depending on instrument/color guard (self-pay)
- August 14 - Nebraska College Preparatory Academy (NCPA) Aug14 (program pays)
- August 14 - Engineering Readiness Academy (program pays)
- August 14 - Nebraska Tech+ECI (program pays)
August 15 - If you're part of the groups listed below, you're approved to move in early and will go through the curbside move-in process. Your move-in appointment will be emailed to you by August 2. Your group's coordinator will provide us with a list of program participants; there's no need to contact Housing Contracts. Move-in appointments will be scheduled between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
You'll begin your move-in process at the Devaney Center at your assigned move-in time. Please arrive no earlier than 30 minutes before your assigned time. Fees may apply to early arrival groups.
- Sorority Recruitment
- First Husker
- Emerging Leaders
If you're unable to make your assigned move-in time, please access the housing portal in MyRed and sign up for a new time. The new move-in times are available after 6 p.m. any day, Monday-Thursday, Aug. 16-19, or starting at 8 a.m., Friday-Sunday, Aug. 20-22.
If approved, you'll responsible for moving your own belongings. Since you're moving in outside of your assigned time, we can't guarantee close parking to the residence halls. It's also important for you to arrive as close to your check-in time as possible, unload your belongings, then move your vehicle to a parking garage or a lot away from the hall. This way others can utilize the limited unloading spaces to move in.
Only ONE VEHICLE will be permitted per student during curbside move-in, such as a sedan, SUV, van or pick-up truck. U-Hauls, trailers and campers aren't permitted and won't fit into the parking garages. If family members bring additional vehicles, they'll be directed to the parking garage. You'll be responsible for transporting materials from that vehicle to the room after the curbside move-in has finished for the day.