Fall 2019 International Student Move-in Guide
Welcome! First, please fill out the arrival form through the New Student Enrollment office. Please check with University Housing to arrange early arrivals by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also request early check-in in the housing portal, which is located at myred.unl.edu.
International students need to arrive on campus no later than Tuesday, August 20 in order to attend International Student Orientation sessions. UNL New Student Enrollment recommends international students fly into the Lincoln Municipal Airport (LNK) on August 18, 19, 20 because UNL will provide a free shuttle from the Lincoln airport to UNL’s City and East campuses on these days.
The free shuttle will be available on these days only.
Please look for the UNL Welcome Desk at baggage claim if you have questions when you arrive at the Lincoln airport. Students who would like to use the free UNL shuttle service must complete the arrival form. NOTE: All new students must complete and submit the arrival form.
If you are not arriving in Lincoln on August 18, 19, 20, please submit your arrival information and we will email you with information that is specific to your arrival circumstances.
We care about you and your safety. For safety and liability reasons, we strongly recommend that you only use airport transportation that is approved by the university.
If you choose to fly into Omaha's Eppley Airfield, you can choose to travel with OMALiNK. OMALiNK is a safe, licensed shuttle service that specializes in airport transportation. You must complete the reservation on omalink.com or call +1 877.473.5465 before you depart from your home country to ensure there will be a shuttle available when you arrive. Please visit OMALiNK’s website for more detailed pricing information.
Please be sure to have your on-campus address written down and provide it to your driver. When you arrive on campus, please check in at your residence hall to get your room key and temporary linens if needed.
MOVE IN BEFORE AUGUST 21
We understand you will need to attend international student orientation and arrive earlier than other students. In order to make sure you can move in smoothly, please complete the early move-in request in MyRED before you check into your residence hall. The official move-in date is August 21. However, to accommodate international students’ housing needs, we offer early move-in options. Contact University Housing for early move-in. The daily rate for interim housing is $36/day. The charges will show up on your consolidated student bill in your MyRED account.
Linens: There are loaner linen packets (with bed sheets, blankets and towels) available at the front desk of Selleck. If you are not bringing linens with you, you are allowed to check one out at the front desk.
- Remember that you have to return the linens to avoid overdue charges.
The purpose of the orientation is to help you become familiar with the university and living in Lincoln. Specifically, the orientation will help you get acquainted with university staff/faculty members, academic programs you’re enrolled in, assist you in getting essentials, and getting connected with other current UNL students.
- All international undergraduate students (full admit, exchange, IEP, CEAP) need to attend all of orientation.
- When: August 21, 22, 23, 2019 in the City Campus Nebraska Union (2nd floor)
*Intensive English Program (IEP) students will need to take an exam. For more details, please contact Juliee Crocker at +1 (402) 472-1884 | email@example.com.
- For a detailed schedule of the International Student Orientation, please visit the NSE International Student Orientation webpage.
- For more information about Graduate student welcome/orientation, please refer to the Office of Graduate Studies webpage.
University Housing – Dining Services have special summer hours from August 16-20. The dining centers resume normal hours of operation on August 21. Dining Services hours can be found at housing.unl.edu/dining-services.
OFF-CAMPUS MEAL OPTIONS
If you're living on city campus, downtown is only 5–10 minutes’ walk away. Within 5–10 minutes’ walk, you will find fast food and nice ethnic eateries such as:
- Wendy’s [American fast food]
- Arby’s [American fast food]
- Raising Cane’s [American fast food]
- Chipotle [Mexican grill]
- Halal choices – Ali Baba Gyros [Mediterranean] & Sultan’s Kite [Middle Eastern]
- East & Southeast Asian choices – Thai Garden (Chinese & Thai); Panda Express downtown and Imperial Palace at City Campus Union [Chinese]; Blue Sushi Sake Grill and Dozo Sushi Grill (Japanese in the Haymarket area); Panda Garden at O St. (Korean food, need to take bus to get there)
- South Asian choices – The Oven (Haymarket)
- You can find a downtown map and a more comprehensive list of restaurants and other commercial establishments at downtownlincoln.org.
In order to register your electronic device to campus Wi-Fi, you need your MyUNL username & password.
- Get your laptop registered for UNL Wi-fi now, you’ll have one less thing to worry about in your moving process.
- Step 1: Have MyUNL username and password ready. (Write down your ID on a piece of paper and bring it with you; you will need to know your ID to get access to the Internet).
- Step 2: Visit wireless-reg.unl.edu.
- Step 3: Follow given prompts.
- Step 4: Come to UNL and enjoy high-speed internet here.
- If you are admitted as a UNL student and have paid the enrollment deposit but have not received a MyUNL username and password, you can claim your username and password here: id.unl.edu/claim.
- You will need your NUID number to complete the process.
If you have any questions about housing contract or meal plan options, please contact:
+1 (402) 472-3561
+1 (800) 742-8800
Correspondence can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 880622
Lincoln, NE 68588-0622
The University Housing office is open Monday – Friday from