GETTING TO CAMPUS:
International students need to arrive on campus no later than Thursday, August 15 in order to attend International Student Orientation sessions. UNL New Student Enrollment recommends international students fly into the Lincoln Municipal Airport (LNK) on August 14, 15 and 16 because UNL will provide a free shuttle from the Lincoln airport to UNL’s City and East campuses on these days.
The free shuttle will be available on these days only.
Please look for the UNL Welcome Desk at baggage claim if you have questions when you arrive at the Lincoln airport. Students who would like to use the free UNL shuttle service must complete the arrival form.
If you are not arriving in Lincoln on August 13, 14 or 15, please submit your arrival information and we will email you with information that is specific to your arrival circumstances.
We care about you and your safety. For safety and liability reasons, we strongly recommend that you only use airport transportation that is approved by the university.
If you choose to fly into Omaha's Eppley Airfield, you can choose to travel with OMALiNK. OMALiNK is a safe, licensed shuttle service that specializes in airport transportation. You must complete the reservation on omalink.com or call +1 877.473.5465 before you depart from your home country to ensure there will be a shuttle available when you arrive. Please visit OMALiNK’s website for more detailed pricing information.
Please be sure to have your on-campus address written down and provide it to your driver. When you arrive on campus, please check in at your residence hall to get your room key and temporary linens if needed.
University Housing Intercultural Aides will welcome you at the front desk area, guide you to your room and provide you with any necessary help in your residence hall
MOVE IN BEFORE AUGUST 17
We understand you will need to attend international student orientation and arrive earlier than other students. In order to make sure you can move in smoothly, please complete the early move-in request in MyRED before you check into your residence hall. The official move-in date is August 17. However, to accommodate international students’ housing needs, we offer early move-in options. You can start moving into your residence hall on August 10. The daily rate for interim housing is $35/day until August 17. The charges will show on your September or October consolidated student bill in your MyRED account.
Linens: There are loaner linen packets (with bed sheets, blankets and towels) available at the front desk of Selleck, University Suites, and Husker. If you are not bringing linens with you, you are allowed to check one out at the front desk.
- Remember that you have to return the linens to avoid overdue charges.
- If you want to get personal linens early, you can join our Target shopping trip on August 17 at 7:15 p.m. (more information listed on the Welcome Card).
MANDATORY INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ORIENTATIONS
The purpose of the orientation is to help you become familiar with the university and living in Lincoln. Specifically, the orientation will help you get acquainted with university staff/faculty members, academic programs you’re enrolled in, assist you in getting essentials, and getting connected with other current UNL students.
- All international undergraduate students (full admit, exchange, IEP, CEAP) need to attend all three days of orientations
- When: August 16–18, 2017 in City Campus Nebraska Union (2nd floor)
*Intensive English Program (IEP) students will need to take an exam on August 16 at 8 a.m in Jorgensen Hall 110. For more details, please contact Juliee Crocker at +1 (402) 472-1884 | email@example.com
- For a detailed schedule of the International Student Orientation, please visit the NSE International Student Orientation webpage.
- For more information about Graduate student welcome/orientation, please refer to the Office of Graduate Studies webpage.
WHERE TO EAT
University Housing–Dining Services dining halls will be offering interim meals to students, August 11–16.
Interim Meals: August 11–16
Location: Willa Cather Dining Complex (WCDC) Dining Center, 530 N. 17 Street. Meal tickets can be purchased at the Selleck front desk. *Note: Selleck Dining Center will only offer Summer meals until August 9. East Campus Corner Deli will be open Monday, May 9 through Friday, August 19.
Dining Services hours can be found at go.unl.edu/dining-hours
- Welcome Dinner: Pancake & Pizza Feed
Date & Time: August 15, 6–8 p.m.
Location: Selleck Dining Hall
- Welcome Picnic
Date & Time: August 17, 6 p.m.
Location: Greenspace in front of Selleck Quadrangle and Nebraska City Union
- Move-in Meals
Dates: August 17–August 20
Location: all dining centers
- Party Around the World
Date & Time: August 24, 7–10 p.m.
Location: WCDC Dining Center 1st floor Red Cloud Room (530 N 17th St)
Off-campus Meal Options
If you're living on city campus, downtown is only 5–10 minutes’ walk away. Within 5–10 minutes’ walk, you will find fast food and nice ethnic eateries such as:
- Wendy’s [American fast food]
- Arby’s [American fast food]
- Raising Cane’s [American fast food]
- Chipotle [Mexican grill]
- Halal choices – Ali Baba Gyros [Mediterranean] & Sultan’s Kite [Middle Eastern]
- East & Southeast Asian choices – Thai Garden (Chinese & Thai); Panda Express downtown and Imperial Palace at City Campus Union [Chinese]; Blue Sushi Sake Grill and Dozo Sushi Grill (Japanese in the Haymarket area); Panda Garden at O St. (Korean food, need to take bus to get there)
- South Asian choices – The Oven (Haymarket) and Sher-e-Punjab [Indian]
You can find a downtown map and a more comprehensive list of restaurants and other commercial establishments at downtownlincoln.org.
In order to register your electronic device to campus Wi-Fi, you need your MyUNL username & password.
- Get your laptop registered for UNL Wi-fi now, you’ll have one less thing to worry about in your moving process.
- Step 1: Have MyUNL username and password ready. (Write down your ID on a piece of paper and bring it with you; you will need to know your ID to get access to the Internet).
- Step 2: Visit wireless-reg.unl.edu.
- Step 3: Follow given prompts.
- Step 4: Come to UNL and enjoy high-speed internet here.
- If you are admitted as a UNL student and have paid the enrollment deposit but have not received a MyUNL username and password, you can claim your username and password here: id.unl.edu/claim.
- You will need your NUID number to complete the process.
UNIVERSITY HOUSING INTERCULTURAL AIDES
University Housing’s International Services Team is made up of the Residential International Student Coordinator and ten Intercultural Aides. Intercultural Aides are trained staff members working to assist you as you make this big move from your home country to Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Upon arrival at the residence halls, your assigned Intercultural Aide will be there to greet you and walk you to your room.
- We have created welcome stations at University Suites and Selleck, located at the front desk area, in order to answer your questions.
Meet our Intercultural Aides
If you have any questions about housing contract or meal plan options, please contact:
+1 (402) 472-3561
+1 (800) 742-8800
Correspondence can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 880622
Lincoln, NE 68588-0622
The University Housing office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday.
If you have any other questions regarding living on campus as an international student, please contact the University Housing International Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (402) 472-7987.