Contracts Department

Traditional Halls Frequently Asked Questions

| Apartment-style FAQs |

Contacting UNL Housing

How can I contact the Housing Office?
The Housing Office is open from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday - Friday. You may call us at (402) 472-3561 or (800) 742-8800.

E-mail can be directed to: housing@unl.edu

When contacting us be sure to indicate:
1) a subject
2) your name
3) your NUID#
UNL Housing responds to all e-mails. If you do not receive a response, the e-mail has not been received by our office.

Correspondence can be mailed to:
Division of University Housing
PO Box 880622
Lincoln, NE 68588-0622

Beginning The Contract Process

When are contracts available for students?

  • New Students: Only students admitted to the University are eligible to submit a housing contract. The first email with Housing contract information for new Freshman fall entrants will be sent towards the end of January and thereafter daily after the student is admitted to UNL. If you are an incoming freshman the Admissions Office will advise us that you need a housing contract after you have paid the enrollment deposit. It is not necessary for you to contact our office directly.
  • Current Residents: Students currently living in the UNL Residence Halls will have contracts available for the following year in January. Summer Housing Contracts are available in early April.

How do I get a housing contract?
Transfer students - Will receive housing contract information in an email after being admitted to UNL. If you do not receive contract information, e-mail UNL Housing or call 402-472-3561.

UNL students not currently residing in the halls - To receive Housing contract information, e-mail UNL Housing or call 402-472-3561.

Graduate students - E-mail Housing at: housing@unl.edu or call us at 402-472-3561. Students must be admitted to UNL in order to receive contract information.

Students starting in the spring - Housing contract emails for new freshmen starting in the spring will begin in November. The Admissions office will advise us that you need a contract after you are officially admitted.

What is the contract deadline?
There is no deadline for new students. Students are served on a first-come, first-served basis. New students wishing to reside in a Learning Community and/or receive their assignment by June 15 must submit a contract by April 1. Returning students meet deadlines that allow them to have priority housing. Watch for postings on the Housing website and in the residence halls for important dates and times regarding returning student contracts.

What is Kauffman Hall and how is it different from the other halls?
The Esther L. Kauffman Academic Residential Center is located west of Selleck Hall. All residents are Jeffrey S. Raikes School of Computer Science and Management students.

How do I receive contract information for The Courtyards and The Village ("Apartment-Style" halls)?
Apartment-style halls are available to upperclass and graduate students. Visit the Apartment-Style FAQ website for more information about apartment-style housing.

Assignment Information

When will I get my room assignment?
Assignment notification for the 2014-2015 academic year will be sent out by June 15 for students submitting a contract by April 1. Those submitting contracts after April 1 will receive notification the end of July. Students who begin in the spring semester will be notified at the end of December. Assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis.

What happens if my roommate leaves?

Before the halls open:

In order to stay updated on changes to your room notification and/or roommate information, you should periodically check your assignment notification on MyRed.  Any new roommate information may be viewed through your assignment notification via your MyRed account.

Once the halls open:

You will be contacted by your Residence Director (RD) or Residence Life Services Supervisor (RLSS) to review the choices available. Your choices may include: selecting your own new roommate, moving to another room with another student with double room status, changing your contract to single room status (if eligible), or being assigned a roommate. 

Billing Information

What is the non-refundable advance payment?
When you turn in your housing contract a non-refundable advance payment of $400 is required. It can be paid by e-check, credit/debit card, cash or mailing in a check. To pay with cash, come to the Housing Contracts Office at 1115 N. 16th Street. Do not send cash.

Before May 1, students must submit at least $200 of the $400 non-refundable advance payment. The entire non-refundable advance payment of $400 must be paid by May 1.

For students beginning in the spring, a $400 non-refundable advance payment must be made to Housing when you submit a spring-only contract.

When will my traditional hall advance payment of $400 be applied to my charges?
The total advance payment is applied to the last billing cycle of the second semester as directed by your preference choice of Billing Plan 1 or Billing Plan 2. If you requested Billing Plan 1, your advance payment will be applied in February. If you requested Billing Plan 2, your advance payment will be applied in April.

What are the payment plans available for the traditional halls?
For your convenience, we offer two payment plans:
Plan 1 allows a student to pay for housing once a semester. The bills will be due in September and February. There is no additional fee for this payment plan. Pay Plan 1 is advisable for students who receive a substantial financial aid package to cover housing, tuition, books, etc.

Plan 2 allows a student to spread out their payments via installments. The fall semester payments will be due in September, October and November. The spring payments will be due in February, March and April. There is an additional fee of $80.00 for this plan, which is paid in a $40 installment each semester.

Please see your Contract Policies Booklet for a more detailed description. If you would like to view this online please click on Contracts at the top left of the screen and click the Trad Contract policies book listed on the right side. All payments will be made to the UNL Bursars' office. For more information, visit your MyRed account.  The non-refundable advance payment is paid directly to UNL Housing.

I expect to receive Financial Aid - which payment plan should I choose?
Your financial aid will be applied to your centralized bill. Students should select Payment Plan 1 if Financial Aid covers all or most of tuition and housing costs as financial aid payments are applied only at the beginning of each semester. This will eliminate chances of a refund, which must then be retained by the student for future payments.

Where do my housing payments go?
After the non-refundable advance payment has been sent to University Housing, your remaining payments will be paid via MyRed. For more information on payment options contact the UNL Bursar's office.

Do I get a Returning Student Discount (RSD)?
To qualify for the RSD, you must meet two conditions. You must have lived in a residence hall for the entire second semester of the prior academic year, and you must continue to live in a residence hall for the entire academic year represented by the current contract.

Since students must live in the residence halls for the entire academic year represented by this contract, the RSD will appear on the Spring centralized bills. The RSD only applies to residents in traditional residence halls and excludes suite-style halls (Knoll, University adn Eastside Suites) and apartment-style halls (Courtyards/Village).

Information About Residence Halls And Rooms

What amenities are included in Abel/Sandoz/Harper/Schramm/Smith?
Abel/Sandoz/Harper/Schramm/Smith include resident room and lounge furniture, white message boards, windows/heating/cooling equipment and updated common areas. Student rooms include loftable/adjustable extra-long twin beds and 6 cf refrigerator/freezer units. Laundry facilities are available on each floor.

What amenities are included in Neihardt and Selleck?
These halls include resident room and lounge furniture, white message boards and windows/heating/cooling equipment. Student rooms include loftable/adjustable extra-long twin beds and 6 cf refrigerator/freezer units.

What amenities are included in Burr/Fedde?
Student rooms in Burr/Fedde have traditional desks, one loftable/adjustable extra-long twin bed and one extra-long regular twin bed. Students needing a second loftable extra-long twin bed in their room should contact the Facilities office in their complex. Burr rooms will have one microfridge (microwave and 6.5 crf refrigerator in one unit) and Fedde rooms will have one 4.8 cf refrigerator.

Can I stay in the halls during breaks?
Only students who are permanently assigned to a break hall may stay in their room over breaks (Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Break). Designated break halls are Selleck, University Suites, Eastside Suites, Knoll, Fedde, and Husker Hall. During the summer a limited number of halls are available for student housing, making it possible to live in the residence halls year-round. Apartment-style (in Courtyards only) also provide year-round housing for students.

Which halls are coed?
Love Memorial Co-op is an all female hall; the remaining halls are coed. Halls divided by floor include Harper, Schramm, Smith, Neihardt, Sandoz, Husker, Burr, and Fedde. Abel is coed by wing and Selleck is coed by floor/wing. Knoll Residential Center, Eastside Suites, and University Suites are coed halls with residents in a suite being of the same sex.

Which halls are smoke-free?
All UNL residence halls are smoke-free.

Where are laundry facilities located and are they coin operated? What is the cost?
Laundry facilities are located in each complex and are either coin or card operated. In Burr/Fedde/Love/Husker, the maximum cost for one load of wash is approximately $1.25 and one dryer load is approximately 75 cents. In all other halls a wash is approximately $2.00 and drying is free.

What size carpet should I purchase?
A double room would accommodate a maximum carpet size of 8' x 10' and a super double room would accommodate a maximum carpet size of 10' x 12'.

Do I need to bring my own vacuum cleaner?
UNL Housing will provide a vacuum cleaner for each floor.

What size microwave is allowed in the residence halls?
Microwaves that are used in the residence hall rooms must have a wattage of 750 or less. A microwave is provided in Knoll Residential Center, University Suites, Eastside Suites and Husker Hall. Microfridges are provided in Burr Hall.

What type of bathroom facilities does UNL have?
Community bathrooms are located on each floor. In suite-style: Knoll Residential Center, Eastside Suites, and University Suites, one bathroom is shared by the four residents of the suite.

What should I bring to the residence hall?
These are suggestions on what to bring with you to your room.

  • Alarm Clock
  • Backpack
  • Bedspread or Comforter
  • Coffee Mug
  • Computer
  • Circuit-Protected Multi-Plug for Computer
  • Extension Cord
  • Extra Pillows/Bean Bag Chair
  • First Aid Kit
  • Flashlight
  • Hangers
  • Laundry Basket/Soap (High-efficiency detergent)
  • Photos of Family, Pets & Friends
  • Pictures/Posters
  • School Supplies
  • Sewing Kit
  • Shower Tote and Flip Flops
  • Sheets/Blankets (extra long twin)
  • Stereo/CD's
  • TV/DVD
  • Throw Rugs or Carpet
  • Toiletries
  • Towels and Washcloths
  • Umbrella

Cancellation Information

Students are held liable for room and board charges until the cancellation is approved in writing by University Housing.

  • We cannot take cancellations over the phone. 
  • In order to cancel your housing contract, you must complete the steps as listed below (steps to take for cancelling depends on whether you have checked into your hall/room). 
  • Withdrawing or suspension from UNL will not automatically cancel your contract. 
  • It is not possible for another UNL Department to cancel your contract.

Cancelling BEFORE Hall Opening (I have NOT picked up my room key and/or have NOT checked into my assigned room/hall):
Complete the cancellation form at: http://go.unl.edu/UNLhousing_cancel. You will receive confirmation (by email) that we have received your cancellation.

 Cancelling AFTER Hall Opening (I have picked up my room key and/or have checked into my assigned room/hall):Anyone wishing to cancel their contract after they have picked up their key and/or checked into their assigned room must contact their Residence Director (RD).  No cancellation will be considered without the proper residence hall check-out form completed, keys returned, etc. 

Will I have a cancellation fee if I leave the residence halls?
Yes, the amount of the cancellation fee depends on the date and reason for the cancellation. The cancellation fee information can be found on page 11 of the traditional hall contract policies booklet. All payments will be made to the UNL Bursars' office. For more information, visit your MyRed account.

What are the cancellation fees?
2014-2015 Academic Year Residents

Prior to May 1, 2014 = $400
May 1, 2014-August 15, 2014 = $1500
August 16, 2014 to May 9, 2015 = 40% of remaining balance of contract.*

*Minimum Cancellation Fee of $500. Please contact your Residence Director or the Housing Office for more details concerning this or refer to your Contract Policies booklet.

How do I check out of the halls once I have checked in/picked up my room key?
Check out arrangements should be made with your Residence Director and your Resident Assistant prior to the anticipated checkout date. If appropriate check-out steps are not completed, an improper check out will result and an additional fee will be charged.

Calendar Dates/Break Housing

What are the dates of the current year’s contract?
August 22, 2013 to May 10, 2014

What are the dates of the future year’s contract?
August 21, 2014 to May 9, 2015 

When do the halls open for fall semester?
August 21, 2014 at 8 a.m. will be the first day/time available for move-in for the 2014-2015 academic year.

When do the halls open for spring semester?
January 9, 2015 at 1 p.m. will be the first day/time available for move-in for the 2015 spring semseter. 

What if I need to move into the halls before my housing contract starts in August? 
Checking into the halls before the official opening day is highly discouraged. 
If circumstances necessitate you having to move in before official opening, you must submit a request to move in early via MyRed at least two weeks before the requested early check-in date.  Circumstances may necessitate that we temporarily accommodate you in a different hall.

Check with Parking Services for parking arrangements for early checkin, phone 402-472-1800 or email unlpts@unl.edu. 

The guest rate will be charged in the case of early check-in. The current guest room rate, which is subject to change, is $26 per day. The same fee will be applied for storage and/or occupancy. These charges will be posted on your October bill. 

If you are coming early as part of an official UNL departmental activity (RUSH, band, intercollegiate athletics, ROTC, etc.) the department will provide us with your information. You do not need to complete this form if you are part of one of these groups. Please check with your department to make sure they have you on their early arrival list and/or with any questions you may have about early arrival charges.

Note:  Early arrivals are not granted for contracts beginning in the Spring semester (January).

What halls are open over UNL breaks?
Designated break halls are Selleck, Eastside Suites, University Suites, Knoll, Fedde and Husker Hall.

Contract Information

Who is required to live on campus?
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln requires all unmarried students who have less than 27 credit hours and who are under 19 years of age after the first day of classes for the fall semester to live in University-approved housing (residence halls, fraternities, sororities, or co-ops) for the entire academic year. Students may also be given special permission to live with a parent or immediate relative and commute, provided that family member lives within a 30-mile radius of the UNL Campus. Visit http://housing.unl.edu/residency-requirements for information on UNL's On-Campus Residency Requirement.

How many credits must I be taking to live in the halls?
During the academic year, a student must be enrolled for at least six semester hours (not to include extension or correspondence courses). During the summer, students will be required to take at least three credit hours total during the summer sessions.

What does my Residence Hall Contract include?
The contract includes room (with utilities), meals, refrigerator, basic cable TV service, computer access, high speed wireless internet service and membership in the Residence Hall Association (RHA).

Can I have a room only contract?
Housing contracts are room and meals for the full academic year. Exceptions to the Room and Meals requirement are made for a Husker Hall contract and Love Memorial Cooperative female housing where students pay a food allowance of approximately $1000.

How do I get a meals-only contract?
If you are a current UNL student living in a Greek house, Husker Hall or off campus and are interested in having a meal plan, contact the Housing office. You can choose from a 7 day meal plan or a 5 day meal plan. Your NCard will be scanned at the cafeteria each time you eat. Contact the Housing office to request to be set up for a meals-only contract.

Who should I talk to about my disability or special need?
Students requiring special room accommodations because of a disability or medical condition need to contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities, (402) 472-3787, a minimum of six weeks prior to the desired move-in date.