The GFL (Good, Fresh, Local) University of Nebraska—Lincoln Sustainable Food Project
The GFL program began in September 2005 and is a very popular local dining program with students and the UNL community. This local program defines 'local' as food that comes from Nebraska farmers, producers, and manufacturers.The GFL program is built on a foundation that:
- Serves traditional menu items that promote the value of local food
- Educates students about sustainable agriculture and the positive impact it has on the environment, local economy and communities
- Provides a new distribution opportunity for local farmers and producers in the world of university food service
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln students
- Farmers, producers and manufacturers
- University Dining Service
- The Food Processing Center
- Nebraska Cooperative Development Center
- The Nebraska Sustainable Agriculture Society
The GFL program features special monthly meals at Cather/Pound/Neihardt and East Campus Union Dining Service and incorporates individual GFL menu items on a daily basis. In addition, the Catering Department offers GFL menus and a few GFL items are offered at Abel/Sandoz, Harper, Selleck Dining Centers.If you have any questions about the GFL Project, please feel free to contact Pam Edwards, (Assistant Director University Dining Service) at 402-472-9045 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Featured GFL Producers
- Bluestem Farms (Madison)
- Bluff Valley Farm (Rulo)
- Common Good Farm (Raymond)
- North Star Neighbors (Fullerton)
- Pawnee Pride Meats (Steinauer)
- Harvest Home (Waverly)
Download a map of our GFL farmers, producers and manufacturers (pdf)
2012-13 GFL Meal Dates
Thurs., Oct. 18, GFL Around the World Dinner, 4:30-7 p.m.
Wed., Nov. 14, GFL Thanksgiving Dinner, 4:30-7 p.m.
Wed., Dec. 5, GFL Holiday Dinner, 4:30-7:30 p.m.
Thurs., Jan. 24, GFL Caveman Dinner, 4:30-7 p.m.
Thurs., Feb. 14, GFL French Lunch, 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
Thurs., March 28, GFL Czech Dinner, 4:30-7 p.m.
Thurs., April 18, GFL Farmer's Breakfast, 6:45-10:30 a.m.
ECU (East Campus Union Cafe)
Wed., Oct. 17, GFL Lunch Wed., Nov. 14, GFL Thanksgiving Dinner Wed., Dec. 5, GFL Holiday Dinner Wed., Jan. 23, GFL Lunch Wed., Feb. 13, GFL Lunch Wed., March 27, GFL Lunch Wed., April 17, GFL Lunch